Saturday, June 12, 2010

Saying Yes to the Dress

I wanted to get dress shopping done early because I felt that the dress would set the tone and the theme for the entire event.  I began my dress shopping adventure by browsing through bridal magazines in an effort to research designers and to get an idea of what I wanted.  This did not help me at all.  I had a very clear idea of what I wanted, but I wasn't sure how it would look on me.  I went to David's Bridal with a friend who is also wedding planning, and we tried on several very different gowns to narrow down our search.  I found shopping, with no intent to buy, incredibly helpful and I highly recommend it when it comes to wedding dresses.  I came to David's Bridal with A, B, and C in mind; I left thinking of X, Y, and Z.

Attached to the idea of a dress with X, Y, and Z, I began to research bridal boutiques.  I googled, asked around, and narrowed it down to 7 stores.  I then looked at each store's website and viewed their selection.  Some carried more designers than others, and some had more affordable designers.  I narrowed it down again to 3 final stores and made appointments.  All of this involved lots of color coded spreadsheeting, of course!

Mr. Lion, do NOT read any further! 

I went to my appointments with some of my bridesmaids, and found my dress at the first one.  I knew it was the one.  I didn't cry or scream or anything like that, but I kept it on for about 45 minutes and just didn't want to take it off!  I wanted to be sure, so I went to my next appointment.  I found another one that I liked a lot and immediately stressed out.  The other salon had told me that I would get a discount if I ordered it today, so I wanted to make a decision.  I called Mama Lioness on the verge of tears and asked her what to do.  She gave me some of the best advice I've had so far with wedding planning: "If you like both of them, then you need to think about which one HE would like more."  I pictured myself walking down the aisle in the dress I was wearing, and I smiled.  I pictured myself walking down the aisle in the dress I had worn earlier that day, and I smiled wider and burst into tears.  There was the Lifetime movie moment I had been looking for!  We left the salon and called the other store to make our purchase, the Zora by WToo:
Personal photo: Looking pretty psyched.

How did your research and advice affect your dress shopping?  Did it help you narrow it down or did you go a different route?

No comments:

Post a Comment