Sunday, December 12, 2010

Some Ice for an Icy Day

My apologies for that horrible title.  I'm freeking freezing, so ice is just on my mind!

Hive, we're four months out.  After a long engagement, the big day is finally creeping up on us.  I don't know how it happened, but all of a sudden it feels like we're in wedding crunch time!  As busy as I've been trying to wrap up some DIY projects (oh don't you worry, they'll be up here soon!), it still didn't feel real.  Maybe it sounds silly, but it was just hard to believe that we were really getting married, and soon.  It finally hit me the other day while looking at my little countdown to-do list on WeddingWire.  So many important items crossed off the list: the dress, the venue, the flowers, etc.  There was one item that remained unchecked...and it was a biggie!  Something very important.  Something very precious to us.

We're four months out, which means it's time to start looking for wedding rings.  You know, those little pieces of bling that you wear for the rest of your HOLY MOLY WE'RE GETTING MARRIED!  Oh hello, epiphany.  I've heard that you like to show up around this time.

Mr. Lion and I went wedding ring shopping today...and wedding ring shopping turned into wedding ring buying!  Today was one of the coldest days Atlanta's had this season, but we knew if we didn't go right now, we probably wouldn't get around to it until waaay after the holidays.  Things get busy around this time of year.  So, we bundled up and braved the "wintry mix" of sleet and other horrible kinds of precipitation all the way out to the cheaper jewelry stores in suburban Atlanta.

We only had to go to one store.  Not only did I fall in love with the first ring I tried on, it was $200 under budget!  It may have helped that I knew exactly what I wanted.  I knew I wanted white gold with a few small diamonds.  I was also pretty sure that I wanted something contoured to fit the unique setting of my e-ring; however, I didn't want something too contoured because I wanted to be able to wear it on it's own.  Well, here it is:

I tried on others, but I kept going back to the first ring.  It fit all of my criteria; I even liked it with and without my e-ring:
Mmm...iPhone quality with unmanicured little boy hands.  Sorry, y'all.  But you get the idea :)

Mr. Lion had a slightly more difficult decision.  He had done his research, too, and he knew that he wanted something matte with black stripes.  He was leaning towards titanium or tungsten, but our jeweler basically talked him out of it.  Apparently, you can't resize rings made from those metals because they're so tough.  It didn't seem like a really big deal to me, and maybe some of you can relate.  But for Mr. Lion, it was a dealbreaker, ladies.

Once he finally decided on white gold, the rest of the decision-making process was easy.  In fact, Mr. Lion ended up choosing the first one he tried on, too!  It was matte white gold with two black stripes...exactly the look he had envisioned.  It was contemporary, but classic.  Stylish, but not too different.

We talked about continuing to look around, but it seemed pointless.  Our minds were made up.  We loved them, and the price was right!  The moment we decided to go ahead and make the big purchase, the sleet slowed and we were greeted with a sky full of soft flurries.  New bling and the first snow of the season?  OMG it was like a movie!  I was pretty psyched to have accomplished something else on our massive to-do list.  I was even more psyched that our wedding (as well as our marriage) was finally starting to feel real.

What was your ring-shopping experience like?  Did you decide to try on a bunch or did you go with your gut?

No comments:

Post a Comment