Friday, March 4, 2011

Without Covering the Freckles

Pale skin.  Freckles.  Green eyes.  Red hair.  It's a tougher palette than it looks, I must say.  It's very easy to find clashing colors, sometimes too late.  Additionally, fair skin takes to color much more drastically than other skin tones.  This can be a good thing, but it can also lead to something overly dramatic.  I wanted to use a picture of a clown with a red wig to illustrate this point, but when I Google image searched for "clown," a lot of scary stuff popped up.  I don't want to subject y'all to that!

Instead, I'll use this photo of Nancy from "30 Rock," whose dream was to "open a store for red headed girls to buy cosmetics...from someone who understands."

I've had my makeup done professionally, and everyone always tries to "cover up the freckles." Those freckles are who I am!  I want to look like me, just a glamorous version of me that doesn't clash with my complexion.  I know what you're thinking...If the complexion is the problem, why not get a spray tan?  Because it doesn't look natural on me.  And I don't want to look like that redhead with the unnatural tan:

A friend of mine works as a makeup artist, and she's offered to do my wedding day makeup as a wedding gift to me (sweet!), so I started looking for inspiration.  I started looking for something fresh, natural, and a little girlie.


I liked those looks, but I felt like I needed a little something more.  Even though our wedding is a daytime wedding, perhaps I could pull off a little bit of the smokey eye?


Perhaps I could even pull off some red lipstick?

It would, after all, go along with my pin-up/Old Hollywood hair!

Mac Cosmetics apparently recommends the following eyeshadows and finishes for redheads...
Clockwise from left: Honesty, Motif, Trax, and Mineralize Skinfinish

...as well as their pencil, Eye Kohl, in Teddy:

I absolutely love all of those shades, but I'm not sure if they'd work with the red lipstick.  Maybe I'd have to choose one over the other?  What do you think?

Where my redheads at!  What are you ladies doing for your wedding day makeup?

No comments:

Post a Comment