Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Reconsidering Recycling

Before Mr. Lion and I were even close to engaged, I asked Mama Lioness if I could try on her wedding dress...just for fun.  It had been sitting in her closet since 1982.  It had not been properly preserved, so it had an slightly yellow tint to it, but that just made the lace look all the more antique.  The long sleeves and scalloped neckline could have created a stunning vintage look on a more daring bride, but I decided it wasn't my style.  Plus, I couldn't even zip into it!  I'm a big 4 or a small 6...apparently my mom was even smaller!

Mama Lioness wasn't offended.  She had just saved it as an option.  No pressure, no worries.  She offered it to Sister Lioness, who declined as well.  Mama Lioness promptly took it to her nearest thrift store, and we haven't heard from her dress since.

It was back then that I decided against saving my wedding dress.

It seemed like an awful lot of work to preserve my wedding dress and to have it take up space in my closet, only to have it rejected decades later by my future daughter.  What if she wants to wear a sundress?  What if she doesn't want to get married?  What if I have boys?!  I had made up my mind; I would sell my wedding dress immediately after the wedding.  That money could go towards a house, and therefore go towards starting our lives together.  It was the logical, practical, thing to do.  I felt no remorse.

After our wedding, I posted my dress all over the internet with a reasonable asking price.  I was ecstatic when I received an offer for over half of what I had paid.  It seemed like a great deal for a used gown, and this bride sounded lovely.  I was happy to know that my dress was going to a good home, and happy that I was one step closer to buying my first home.

Then, something strange happened.  When I reached into my closet to inspect the dress before shipping it out, I felt a little lump in my throat.  As I lifted each layer of soft ivory lace to make sure they were without rips or tears, I grew nostalgic.


It was so unlike me to have this much attachment to a material thing.  My wedding dress wasn't even my favorite part of the wedding!  If I had to pick a favorite wedding thing, it probably would have been that window...and it blew over and shattered immediately after the ceremony!  I didn't really experience post-wedding blues (I was just too relieved it was over!)...perhaps this was how it was manifesting?  Maybe I was bummed because it really was over?

It was too late for debate, however, as I had already accepted payment from this other bride.  I had made this decision years ago, and now was the time to remember the reasons why I had made that decision.  I had to stick with my choice.  I had Mr. Lion come with me to the UPS Store to ship the dress, and I had tears in my eyes the whole way there.

Once I had dropped it off, I quit wallowing.  I felt like my dress was being reincarnated, and I rejoiced in the fact that it would fulfill its destiny with another bride.  It probably made her as happy as it had made me.  After all, just because you feel like throwing something away, that doesn't mean it's not exactly what someone else is looking for.


What about you?  Do you plan to sell/donate your dress or preserve it?  If you did sell or donate it, were you surprised at the level of emotion you felt towards it?

No comments:

Post a Comment