Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Mamasita of the Bride

I've mentioned before that my mom is not your typical Mother of the Bride.  After surviving breast cancer and a divorce, it's safe to say that she has a fresh new outlook on life.  Add that to her Latina background, along with living in one of the most dynamic areas in the nation...let's just say she wasn't planning on wearing this to our wedding:

We chatted about it and decided on a few things before she started shopping.  I wanted her dress to be pool blue.  My bridesmaids would be wearing green, so I wanted my mom to be in our other wedding color.  She said she didn't want to look "old."  I said I didn't want her to look too conservative, but I didn't want her to dress too young.  She said she wanted something that would "twirl well while dancing."

Armed with a fair set of rules, we took a little trip to Formally Yours, the salon where I found my wedding dress.  At the sight of dark, dreary colors and oversized boleros, she immediately vetoed the entire Mother of the Bride section.  We decided to take a little detour and check out the bridesmaids' section instead.  Lo and behold, we found a pool blue chiffon dress that was absolutely stunning:
Personal photo: looking age appropriate but sassy...Stacy and Clinton would be proud!

How perfect is that?!  She loved it.  I loved it.  We had a winner.

How did your mom find her dress?  Is anyone else using a bridesmaid dress instead of a Mother of the Bride dress?

No comments:

Post a Comment