Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sweet Customer Service

One thing I've noticed about choosing vendors is that I'm very consistent with my priorities.  Obviously quality is important.  I'm also really big on value for our dollar, since these newly-employed Lions have lots of student loans to pay off.  But customer service trumps all.  I would give up the highest quality if it meant I could deal with a competent and empathic human being.  I would even sacrifice other parts of the budget to pay a little more for good service.

I can't help it...it's just the way I grew up.  You see, Papa Lioness works for a large hotel chain and "teaches customer service for a living."  Just imagine the horror on a 14-year-old Lioness' face as Papa Lioness scolded the Abercrombie employee, "When you say 'have a nice day,' you should at least TRY to sound like you mean it!"  It has been ingrained in my mind to avoid poor customer service as much as possible, no matter how enticing the quality or value may be.  In the long run, what's a little sacrifice for a little less stress?  So far, we've chosen all of our vendors based on this motto.  Everyone has been easy to communicate with and easy to get along with.  Our cake tasting was no different.

In true Southern tradition, we decided on a groom's cake.  Mr. Lion knew early on that he wanted some kind of chocolatey raspberry goodness in the shape of Knightro, UCF's mascot.  But what to do about the actual wedding cake?  As you may recall from our engagement party, I love cupcakes.  The more I thought about it, the more appropriate they seemed for our wedding.  The portions were perfect for daytime, and the cuteness factor helped them to fit in perfectly with our whimsical theme.

Before I could even start researching local bakers, Mr. Lion came home from work one day with half a dozen cupcakes.  Oh it's just this little bakery right next to his law firm and he just happened to walk by and it looked like the kind of thing I would like.  (Seriously, be more awesome.)  They were beautiful, and absolutely delicious.  I then sent Mr. Lion on his next mission: to make an appointment for a tasting.

We walked into the cupcakery on a Thursday afternoon.  We were greeted by Jack Johnson on the baker's iPod speakers, as well as a Cinderella snowglobe on the front counter.  Sure, it's nothing but coincidence, but I had a good feeling about this place.  Long tables stood to my left, each with a different tablecloth and vintage milkglass vases.  Colorful bunting lined the walls.  It looked like something out of...well...a wedding inspiration board!

One table was set with mismatched china and silverware, as well as a fresh French press of coffee.

That same table had a beautiful cake stand topped with several flawless-looking cupcakes.  Hmmm perhaps this table was set for us?

Mr. Lion could hardly contain his excitement.

We sat down with a lovely consultant who shared a cup of coffee with us and told us about their baking process and what goes into all of these delicious flavors.  She told us about each type of cupcake, from the margarita cupcake filled with lime zest to the Coca Cola cupcake (be still, my Atlantan heart).  It was very laid back; it just felt like having a snack with a friend.  I really appreciated the fact that there was no pressure to sign anything or to pay anything.  And you know what?  Because of that, I couldn't reach for the contract fast enough!

A week or so later, Mr. Lion came home with (you guessed it) more cupcakes.  Apparently, they had some other flavors that day and they wanted us to be able to try a few more.  So they just dropped them off at his firm!  The whole thing just seemed so kind and neighborly.  Those little extras make all the difference.
our surprise to-go box
{all personal photos}

We haven't decided on exact flavors yet, but we're thinking of including three different light and fruity flavors, since Mr. Lion's cake will be so rich.  If I may offer some advice to brides out there with upcoming tastings, watch your sugar intake that day!  We seriously ate all of them.  I was immediately five years old, bouncing off of the walls for a few hours, and then I crashed.  Sugar hangovers are no fun!  And if I may offer some advice to anyone out there in the wedding biz, your brides notice details!  Remember that the little things can make all the difference.

How has customer service shaped your wedding vendor decisions?

No comments:

Post a Comment