Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Unique Opportunity

One of my PT school BFFs got married back in August.  I had the privilege of being a bridesmaid, but more importantly, my other PT school BFFs were bridesmaids too.  It was the first time that the five of us (well, the ten of us if you count our SOs) were reunited since graduation in May, so we had a lot of fun to catch up on!

One of the most important people present was PT school BFF Christina's husband, Evan, who was the wedding photographer that weekend.  As I've mentioned before, he's also our wedding photographer...and I have to say, seeing Evan in action was a really interesting experience.  Evan has been our friend for a couple of years now.  He argues with us about whether or not the finale to "Lost" was good enough, he's always introducing us to great new music, and he has a serious problem with saying "that's what she said" far too often.  But that weekend, I got to see a different side of him.
{personal photo}

Granted, we had already hired Evan, but that weekend was almost like an audition.  We got to see him when he was at his professional best.  His confidence put everyone at ease, which was strange because he's probably the second most awkward one in our group (second to me, of course).  He was clear and direct with instructions, but never overbearing.  He led well, but was also open to all kinds of ideas.  I was wicked psyched when he finished editing and sent over the finals.  It was so wonderful to see the finished product!

There were the more traditional shots, like putting on the dress...

...and admiring the final bridal look.

But there were also the less traditional photos.  One unique Evan-ism is what I like to call the "playing with layers" shot:
 

Another thing I liked about Evan's work was that even though both the ceremony and the reception were indoors, he wasn't afraid to deviate from the plan and take advantage of a gorgeous day.

One thing I admire about Evan's photography skills is that he somehow has the ability to see things that most people don't notice.  For example, I had no idea that the sun was making this shot possible:
{all photos by Weddings by Evan Hampton unless otherwise noted}

Seeing our photographer in action reaffirmed our decision to use him, not just because he's our friend but because he just plain rocks.  I've also heard of brides who found their wedding bands at another friend's wedding.  Have you had the opportunity to see one of your vendors in action?

No comments:

Post a Comment