Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Book Report

So I left for Boston, armed with my engagement ring and the comfort that my bridesmaids knew how much I loved them.  I knew I wouldn't be able to do much wedding planning for the next three months, since I was so far away from the city where I would hire all of our vendors (clearly, this was before I discovered Wedding bee).  I allowed myself to brainstorm, but I forbade myself from "actively planning" until I returned to Atlanta in 2010.  When I got a coupon to Borders in the mail, I decided that I needed something to guide me in my brainstorming.

I sat in the wedding planning aisle four nearly an hour (not exaggerating, just embarrassed) trying to choose the perfect wedding planning guide.  Well folks, the truth is, there isn't one.  I finally decided on Emily Post's.


 Source: Emily Post

I like it, but it wasn't as helpful as I had hoped.  I think a lot of brides could find it helpful, but it just wasn't what I needed.  I needed more of a guide than a workbook.  Workbooks are necessary too, which is why I am a spreadsheetaholic.  But as far as guides go, I have gotten a lot more out of the following:

This book is exactly what a bride like me needs.  It's helpful for those who are on a budget, and for those who need to be reminded that the wedding industry is just that...an industry.  It's easy to get all bright-eyed and busy-tailed when looking at all things sparkly, but most of us can't afford to do that!  I found that this book provided some honest insight and incredibly useful tips.

 Source: The Knot

I don't use The Knot for much these days, though I know many brides who swear by it.  The one tool I still use on The Knot is their To Do List feature.  I find it incredibly thorough.  I've examined lots of wedding websites' to do lists, and I've found that The Knot's timeline tends to bias planning ahead rather than doing things last minute, which is a great match for me.  Also, as a typical Type A girl, I love me some to do lists.  That little check mark in that little box symbolizes success and accomplishment to me more than anything else in the world.  This book is stock full of to do lists, with plenty of room to jot down notes along the way.

Regardless of what books you choose for your planning process, I definitely recommend writing in pencil!  It's amazing how many times your plans can change...a lesson I'm still learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment