Monday, April 12, 2010

Rallying the Troops

As a recent physical therapy student, my program's curriculum included nine months of clinical affiliations.  Each rotation is three months long.  I did my first two rotations here in Atlanta, and my third one was in Boston.  I've always wanted to live in Boston, it's an amazing place for healthcare, and it is way too cold for Mr. Lion.  Since I figured a proposal was right around the corner, I figured I'd better get this out of my system now before we settled down somewhere together.

Well, Mr. Lion proposed two weeks before I left for Boston.  This was one of the main reasons we decided on a longer engagement; I would be out of state for three months, which would make the first stages of planning difficult.  Instead, I got to just enjoy our engagement without thinking about the actual wedding.  There was one thing I wanted to plan though.

I wanted to tie down my bridesmaids.  Since it can be such a financial commitment, I wanted to give my girls plenty of time to start saving up.  I wanted to ask them in a really unique way.  Of all the elements of wedding planning, I feel like this part is one of the most pure and innocent.  As little girls, we dream of one day becoming brides.  I wanted to capture that moment of pure joy and share it with the little girls that I dreamed about that moment with.  So, I made children's books!  Ladies and gentlemen, here is my first DIY project!

I bought colorful paper, stickers, and ribbons.  I spent more money on this than I would have with store-bought cards, and it is in no way well crafted.  I had two criteria I wanted it to meet: I wanted it to look like a child made it, and I wanted it to bring a smile to my bridesmaids' faces.  Done and done!


The book's cover

In case you can't read the poem:
There once was a princess who dreamed of true love.
She hoped and she wished and she prayed to above.

Til one day, and unlikely Yankee* kaptured** her heart
Even 150 miles couldn't keep them apart!
(*Mr. Lion is a Yankees fan, I am a Red Sox fan.  More on this later.
**This is a play on the sorority grab-a-date that served as our first date.)

  Their relationship grew strong and their days filled with laughter.
Then he gave her a ring that promised happily ever after.

There's a twist to our story!  That princess was me!
And Dave has made me his bride-to-be.

So now I have a question for you, a favor to ask.
And I really hope you're up to the task!
I'll get right to the point, there's no reason to tease...

You can probably read this one!  Obviously it was different for every girl.
{all personal photos} 
How did you ask your girls to be your bridesmaids?  What inspired you?

No comments:

Post a Comment