Friday, April 9, 2010

Shut up!

That was my reaction when I realized that Mr. Lion was down on one knee.  But let's start at the beginning.

Mr. Lion and I both graduated in May of 2010.  We started saving up for a graduation trip to Costa Rica when we started school.  Mr. Lion had hinted that a ring was coming after graduation, so I assumed that's when he would pop the question.  I mean, the setting would be perfect...beauty, adventure, romance, and Latin American food.  It doesn't get any better than that.

Meanwhile, Mr. Lion was up to plans of his own.  Mr. Lion had a really good internship in the summer or 2009, so he had saved enough money for a ring, but not a diamond.  Luckily for him, I didn't want a diamond.  I've had my eye on an aquamarine earring that belonged to my great-grandmother since I was a little girl.  The plan was to take the stone out of that earring (we have no idea what happened to the other earring, by the way) and design an engagement ring with it.  When he eventually decided that he wanted to propose, he spent a lot of time pondering how to execute the perfect proposal.  We saw the movie "Up" (I mentioned I'm a Disney geek, didn't I?) and he was instantly inspired.

Side note: "Up" also features a hero using an assistive device.  My physical therapist heart kinda melted.
Source: Disney/Pixar via Movie Cafe

I've always wanted to go up in a hot air balloon.  In fact, it's on my bucket list.  As soon as Mr. Lion had this epiphany, he called Sister Lioness.  (Something you should know about Sister Lioness: she is my absolute best friend in the entire world.)  He asked about the aquamarine, he inquired about my dream setting, but he did not reveal when or how he planned to propose.  He then called Daddy Lioness.  He asked for permission, but he did not reveal when or how he planned to propose.  Last but certainly not least, he called Mama Lioness.  He requested that she ship the aquamarine, but he did not reveal when or how he planned to propose.  Well, hot air ballooning involves going up with the sunrise, so imagine the surprise in my family members' voices as I called them one by one at 8:00 AM to tell them we were engaged!
 Personal photo: Us, Up!

But back to the actual proposal...yes, I said "shut up."  I was absolutely shocked when I realized that Mr. Lion was awkwardly positioning himself into a kneeling position in a tiny balloon basket.  I had my mind made up that he was proposing nine months from that moment, something he had worked very hard to make sure I believed.  Whenever someone asks Mr. Lion about this bait and switch, he starts singing Lady Gaga's "Poker Face."  It's really quite...umm...charming.

Yes, I said "shut up," and he said nothing.  He never even asked me to marry him.  But I'm awkward and he's a man of action, not of words.  One of my favorite things about our proposal is how it is so consistent with our personalities.  Did your personality quirks shine through during your proposal?

No comments:

Post a Comment