Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Candy & Cupcakes

First, let me begin with an update on our cake situation.  Y'all are AMAZING and I LOVED reading through all of your ideas and advice!  We decided on the family-style option.  We're going to have our servers bring platters to each table of eight.  Each platter will include two cupcakes of each of the three flavors, as well as two slices of groom's cake.  This way, there is one serving per guest (that is, I'm not buying 300 pieces of cake for 150 people!) but people still have options.

Until the cupcakes and groom's cake are served, they will be situated on a little table in the ballroom.  I plan to arrange the cupcakes on a tree like this:

The top tier of the tree will actually be a small cake (in one of our cupcake flavors) that we'll cut.  Instead of cake toppers, we'll be topping each cupcake with one small pinwheel.
 Created by Twirlie Whirlies

By the way, I am so glad I bought those pinwheels instead of trying to make them!  The thought of making 150 of them...eeek!  We assigned a different color combination to each flavor of cupcake, so we thought it would be a good idea to include a little key or legend for our guests.  We also wanted to include our Knightro-shaped groom's cake in the legend.  I threw this thing together on Pages, printed it on card stock, and placed it inside one of two 8x10 frames that I found at an antique store.
Lion Corgi approves!

We also ordered larger matching pinwheels to decorate our candy buffet, which we plan to fill with green and pool blue candy.

I made a little banner for the candy buffet out of baker's twine and card stock that reads "Love is Sweet."  Maybe we'll drape that between two larger pinwheels?

I filled the other frame with this sign that I made:
Lion Corgi is now taking a boredom nap.

Keeping consistent with our balloon motif, I made these little stickers to seal the bags our guests will fill with candy:

I feel like the pinwheels and signage carrying from the cake table to the candy buffet will help pull the theme together.  What did you do to make your reception theme come together?

No comments:

Post a Comment