Saturday, February 5, 2011

Our Moment in the Spotlight

Sometimes, you find a vendor that you just click with.  They get you, they get what you're about as a couple, and they get what your wedding is about.  I've felt that way about my florist for a while now, and I decided recently that I also feel this way about my videographer.

Our videographer creates "love stories" out of their wedding videos.  They try to learn as much as they can about the couple so that their wedding video really captures their personalities.  They accomplish this by interviewing couples a couple of months before their wedding.  This provides footage of the couple talking about their relationship and their future, but it also gives the videographers the opportunity to get to know their clients' style.

Our videographers recently contacted us to schedule such an interview.  They told us to choose a location that represented us well.  The baseball fans that we are, we immediately thought of Turner Field.
With Sister Lioness at the ballpark...and we're all wearing Polo...weird.

It apparently costs $200 to use Turner Field for something like this.  That wasn't in the budget, so we nixed that idea.  Next, we thought it'd be fun to use Piedmont Park.  It's one of our favorite places in Atlanta, and we take Lion Corgi there often.

Unfortunately, the forecast for the day of our shoot didn't look as pretty as the weather in that photo.  It was supposed to rain.  In biblical proportions.  This forced us to think outside the box a bit.  Maybe instead of having a fun setting, we could be doing something fun!  Hmm, what do Mr. Lion and I like to do together?  Lots of things, really, but one favorite activity stood out in my mind...

We like to cook.  And eat.  Papa Lioness was able to pull some strings for us, and he got us a suite at the Residence Inn Dunwoody for a couple of hours.  We packed up some of our favorite kitchen toys, some ingredients, and the recipe for Martha Stewart's Blueberry-Lemon Bundt Cake and headed to the hotel.

The decor of the hotel room made for a much better set than the decor of our apartment.  Our apartment has lots of muted, natural colors, which I like.  The kitchen is tiny and has horrible fluorescent lighting, which I do not like.  The hotel room had stainless steel appliances in the kitchen, simple modern decor, and bright colors throughout.

The crew showed up and set up shop with fancy cameras, lighting stuff, and sound stuff (clearly, I know all of the technical terms).  I was a little nervous about answering the questions awkwardly, but they really put us at ease.  We both felt pretty comfortable around them; it just felt like we were having a conversation.  They interviewed us together first, and asked questions like "How did you meet?" and "Does your wedding venue have any significance to you?"
Sorry about the iPhone quality!

They wanted to interview us individually too, but first they had to rearrange our "set."  In the meantime, Mr. Lion and I got to baking while one of the crew members shot us being cute in the kitchen.  I wish I had pictures of this, because I promise we were adorable :)

We stuck our cake in the oven, and I sat down for my individual interview.  They asked me about my "somethings," how I found my dress, and I told the story of our proposal.  Mr. Lion sat down for his interview next.  He talked about how he asked my dad for permission, how he thought he'd react when he first saw me walking down the aisle, and he told his proposal story too.  The interesting thing is that our proposal stories were totally different!  I focused more on the surprise, and Mr. Lion focused more on how nervous he was that it was going to rain.

The timer for the cake dinged immediately after Mr. Lion finished his interview.  They turned the lights off and put the equipment away as we waited for the cake to cool.  Then, we gave each of the videographers a slice and took the rest to the front office to thank them for their generosity.  Needless to say, they were pretty psyched!

We had so much fun.  Not only did we get to ham it up in front of a camera, we got to reminisce about our history and gush about our future.  I just think it's so cool that our videographers do this to get to know us a little bit.  It's kind of like taking e-pics with your photographer before the wedding; it gives you a chance to get used to each other, which I think is a great bonus!

Do any of your vendors have some kind of unique twist that you were excited about?

No comments:

Post a Comment