Sunday, January 9, 2011

In Over My Head

Sister Lioness has had a month off of school (that's right: a month) for Christmas break.  I've been trying to take advantage of having my super-crafty MOH around by being as productive as possible with my long list of DIY projects.  Instead of knocking out lots of little projects, we decided to tackle the big ones: the tossing bouquet and (drumroll) the invitations.

The result?  Feeling like I was in a liiiittle over my head.  We spent hours on the tossing bouquet, only to get about 1/4 of the way done with it!  Then, it sat on my coffee table like this for about a week:
{personal photo}

I mean, it's off to a good start.  I think it looks good so far, there's just so much more to do!  The task of finishing it up just seems too daunting, but I'll know we'll get around to it soon...maybe...

I've definitely learned some important lessons in trying to accomplish my ambitious DIY projects, and I'd like to share them with y'all:
  1. Set realistic goals. "I will assemble all of these invitations in the next 30 minutes" sounds nice, but it ain't gonna happen.  Overestimate, if you must.  Better to be pleasantly surprised than frustrated that your efficiency isn't up to par!
  2. Delegate whenever possible (and bribe if you must).  Some of my projects have gone by faster by using the assembly line method.  I recruited Sister Lioness and Lioness Bmaid Emily with mimosas, and I bribed Mr. Lion by playing "Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus" in the background.  Hey, whatever works!
  3. Buy excess supplies.  I hate to be wasteful, but buying the extra paper/fabric/ink was worth it in the long run.  I didn't end up needing most of it, but knowing it was there if I messed up and needed it kept me sane.
  4. Never underestimate the importance of a good paper cutter.  WHAT A DIFFERENCE!
  5. Proofread.  Proofread again.  When you think you don't need to proofread anymore, keep proofreading.  If your eyes start to hurt, call it a night and proofread again tomorrow.  Don't try to proofread when you're tired!  I promise it'll do more harm than good!
The fact that I've learned something from the experience makes it all a little less overwhelming. With a little self-pacing and patience, I know it'll be worth it in the end!  Have you ever felt overwhelmed by a DIY project?

No comments:

Post a Comment