Wednesday, January 26, 2011

It's Complicated

We booked our venue over a year ago.  We knew early on that it was exactly what we wanted, and we eagerly signed up to have both our ceremony and our reception there.  The venue was then crossed off the to-do list and promptly placed on the back burner.  Our Day-Of Coordinator over there checked in with us from time to time, but other than that, it was out of sight and out of mind.  Now that our wedding is about two months away, I decided to schedule a meeting with our DOC to start ironing out the details.  What time does this vendor arrive?  What does the pattern of traffic flow look like from ceremony to cocktail hour?  Where is my candy buffet going to be?

What followed were a series of epiphanies.  Not the good kind, either.  The kind where innocence is lost and you're left thinking, "Crap!  What do I do now?"  I believe there's a Disney princess out there somewhere whose face can convey this emotion...

I'm glad I have an experienced venue and an awesome DOC to help me figure things out.  Nonetheless, my meeting resulted in adding some new items to my to-do list, some new problems that I now needed to solve:

1.  Our tables seat 8, and I initially thought they seated 10.
My bad.  I shouldn't have assumed, and I don't really know why I did in the first place.  So, now we need an additional 5 tables to accommodate our guests, which means 5 additional centerpieces.  Groan.  It's only money, and we over-budgeted for the sole purpose of covering our booties in the event of mistakes like this.  Problem solved.

2.  Table linens bring up the white vs. ivory debate that I so despise.
My dress is ivory.  Mr. Lion and the Lion Gmen are wearing gray tuxes with ivory shirts.  The Lioness Bmaids are wearing multicolored shoes with a white background, but they are wearing ivory fascinators (I figure they're far enough apart and there's a lot going on elsewhere in the ensemble, no one will notice).  When my DOC and I began to discuss table cloths and chair covers, we instantly decided on ivory.  Then, we had to decide on sashes for the chair covers.  I could choose between black, burgundy, olive, white, silver, or gold.  They all looked great with the white, but the gold was pretty much the only option for the ivory.

Gold kinda clashed with the rest of our color scheme, so that left me back at indecisive.  I really liked the silver, since we're using mint julep cups for our centerpieces.  Could I pull off the silver with the ivory?  Or should I just switch to white and forget the fact that it didn't match my dress?  For that matter, could I do white linens and white sashes?  What do you think?

3. My cake plan was turned upside down.
We had planned on having approximately 100 cupcakes, in three different flavors.  We were also planning on having a groom's cake, which would serve 50-75 people.  We planned to cut a small cake on top of a cupcake tree, which our baker had agreed to make for us.  Then, guests would be able approach the cake table and choose between our three cupcake flavors or a slice of groom's cake.  This concerned my DOC, as she believed that it would result in chaos and (dare I say) it might look tacky.  She thought it would be better if the cakes were served.

She also added that it would be better if all of the guests received one cupcake and all of the guests received one small slice of groom's cake.  I suppose that would appear more hospitable, but it seemed like a lot of food for our daytime wedding.  Additionally, that would cause us to buy twice as much cake as we had initially anticipated!  Could we get away with serving 100 of our guests cupcakes and the rest groom's cake?  Or would it be so bad if we stuck with the self-serve route?  Or should we just bite the bullet and buy cake for (gasp) 300 servings for a 150-person guest list?  What do you think?

Y'all, wedding planning is getting stressful as we're reaching the home stretch!  I just wanna go back into DIY mode and play with fun projects and not deal with logistics!  Thanks for reading such a whiny post, and thanks in advance for your advice.  I hope I didn't stress you out vicariously!  I'm going to go have a glass of wine now...

What kinds of roadblocks have you run into with your nitty gritty details?

No comments:

Post a Comment