Sunday, January 2, 2011

Channeling Veronica Lake

Mr. Lion had one request regarding my wedding day look: he wanted my hair down.  At first, I was a little skeptical.  What if it got in my face?  What if it covered up to much of my gown?  Would my veil look okay with a down-do?  Then, I recalled the feeling I get when I look at my old prom pictures.  I had chosen a pretty involved up-do.  On some girls, this would look glamorous.  On me, I just looked poofy.

Most importantly, I just didn't look like myself.  I don't want to look back on my wedding pictures years from now and wonder why I picked a hairstyle that wasn't me.  I want to look like myself...just a more glammed up version of myself.  Enter the Old Hollywood inspiration.

Veronica Lake is one of my favorite Hollywood bombshells.  Her curls are subtle, but sophisticated.  The look is natural, but it also packs a lot of sexy.

Rita Hayworth is another excellent example of the classic Hollywood look.  Her curls are a little more wavy, adding a softer element to the look.

At risk of this post turning into a Madonna music video from the 1990s, let's venture into modern day, shall we?


Hmm...wonder if I could pull off red lipstick with that look, too?  All of these ladies had oval faces with high cheekbones; I needed to make sure someone with big cheeks a heart-shaped face could work it too!


Phew!  Thanks for the assurance, Scarlett!  Then, I just needed to see it on a redhead.


Seeing that Old Hollywood look on a redhead reminded me of another one of my favorite bombshells.

So there you have it: soft, wavy, loose curls with a little bit of a pick-up in that front piece just to keep it off the face.  I'm meeting with my hair stylist soon for a test run, so I'll definitely let y'all know how it goes!

How did you decide on your wedding day hair do?  Where did you draw inspiration from?

No comments:

Post a Comment