Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Flower Personality

We began our florist search just like we did for any other vendor.  We did some googling, we read some reviews, we looked at some websites and blogs.  It was rather mundane.  I just didn't feel too strongly about flowers.  We had so many other priorities when it came to our wedding plans; flowers just weren't one of them.  All of that changed when we actually found our florist, Angie of Birch Blooms.

It all started with a phone call.  After making a list of potential florists, I called Angie to schedule an interview.  I left her a voicemail, to which she promptly responded by email.  The surprising thing about this email was that she commented on my phone number.  "954?" she asked.  "Are you from South Florida?"  A few emails later, and we had figured out that we went to the same high school.  How crazy is that?  Now, maybe it's the baseball fan in me.  Maybe it's the Disney brainwashing.  But I feel like I know a sign when I see it.  I held off on scheduling interviews with the other potential florists, and I started researching flowers so that I would somewhat know what I was talking about at Angie's interview.

She had asked me what my favorite flower was.  As I'd mentioned earlier, it's the tulip.
{personal photo}

I didn't know if the tulip really fit our wedding flower personality.  I love them, but I think I like them better for birthday presents than for decorating our wedding.  So, I started pulling together some inspiration pictures...





I brought Sister Lioness with me to a local Starbucks for my appointment with Angie (she was in town visiting and had nothing better to do than lend me her artful eye).  When Angie looked through the pictures I had brought, she said, "Sooo it looks to me like you're going for soft, romantic, and whimsical...with a hint of fluffy."

Sister Lioness kicked me under the table.  Her eyes said, "Dude!  It's like she's in your head!"

I responded to Angie with, "Well, the fluffy part hadn't occurred to me...but yes!"

Upon discussing which particular flowers we would be using, we indeed confirmed that my flower personality included "fluffy."  We discussed how much and how little color to include.  We discussed seasonal options, larger blooms, and we examined other possible ways to save money.  The meeting went really well!  When the quote came through a few days later, I was pleased.  Angie definitely got what we were going for, and she managed to stay within our budget.  So what did we end up going with?  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment