Monday, October 25, 2010

Playing with Paint

Remember how we got engaged on a hot air balloon?  Remember how I found that random old mailbox while antiquing?  Remember how I'm a huge Disney geek?  Yeahhh I'm not gonna link to that last one...I'm sure I've mentioned it once or twice :)

One of my new favorite love stories is Disney/Pixar's "Up."  One of the film's scenes features our hero, Carl, decorating his new home with his new wife, Ellie.  They're painting their house all kinds of fun colors, when they decide to take the paint a step further and "personalize" their mailbox.  It was so sweet, so simple.  Hmmm...maybe a mailbox with similar decorations would make a nice holding place for photobooth (more on that later) props!  Behold, the inspiration.

Materials:
  • One giant aluminum mailbox.  Bonus points if it looks like it has a story behind it (i.e. a dent on the side).  I don't know why.  It's just more fun that way.
  • Acrylic paint (I chose acrylic because it would be safe on skin and tough on the aluminum)
  • Paintbrushes
  • Little to no artistic skills.
 I used a paintbrush to paint Mr. Lion's hand to prepare for handprinting:
He's making that face because "it's the first step towards becoming a Ninja Turtle"

Next, Mr. Lion gave his stamp of approval:

Then, I added my handprint so that our prints were holding hands:

Then, I used a paintbrush to write our names next to our handprints:
Tah dah!
{all personal photos unless otherwise noted}

It's probably the easiest DIY project on our to do list, yet it's probably the one I'm the most excited about!

No comments:

Post a Comment