Monday, September 6, 2010

An Introduction to Etsy

Before I found the 'Bee, I had never even heard of Etsy.  These days, I don't know how I ever lived without it!  For those of you just joining us in the Etsy craze, Etsy is an online store and community where artisans sell handmade crafts and where collectors sell rare vintage items.  On Etsy, you can find unique items that you would not normally find in stores, which is what makes it such an excellent wedding resource.  In fact, Etsy even has its own wedding category on its site!  The availability of such unique items allows brides to add a little more personality to their weddings.  Etsy is also a great place for budget brides to find a great deal.  Can't find what you're looking for?  Use the Alchemy function, which you can learn about here with Miss Hippo!

To show y'all the variety that Etsy provides, I decided to conduct a search for something simple.  Let's try "lion" and see what pops up, shall we? :)

This is a great example of the kind of wedding item you could DIY, or you could create a shortcut for yourself and find it on Etsy.  What if you had your heart set on a unique shape like this?  I'm all for DIY, but this is definitely not the kind of project I would want to take on.  Could you imagine cutting out all of those little lions?!  Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of patience.

How cute is that little birdcage veil on the lioness?!  Obsessed.

Ah yes, the other reason why I'm in love with my moniker (the first reason is the Disney reference, of course).  A few months ago, I was explaining to Mr. Lion why Etsy is so awesome.  He agreed that it sounded pretty cool, but said that he "couldn't really get into it because it was just a bunch of girly stuff."  I proved him wrong, and surprised him with a pair of Etsy-made Zelda Tri-Force cufflinks.  His nerdy side thanked me.

So vintagey and elegant!  I love the soft ivory color too.

Graphic design is definitely one of my favorite things to look through on Etsy.  Sometimes, I'll just glance around for inspiration.  This suite is no different.  If you were having a whimsical, carnival-themed wedding, this could definitely be that specific something you were looking for.

What kinds of treasures have you found for your wedding on Etsy?

No comments:

Post a Comment