Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Two-Shoe Bride

You may recall that I had found the perfect wedding shoes for me.  Whimsical, unique, and by one of my favorite designers.  However, as our plans evolved, our theme evolved as well.  Though both the ceremony and the reception would be whimsically vintage, they each started to take on a different tone.  Our ceremony became more soft and romantic, while our reception became more bright and colorful.  I thought this was appropriate; the design was still cohesive, but there was some separation to the events too.  Then I started thinking.  Maybe my Kate Spade ballet flats were more reception shoes than wedding shoes.

And just like that, I was a two-shoe bride.

I'm so embarrassed to admit that!  I'm usually pretty far from indecisive.  I usually know what I want and I rarely change my mind once it's made up.  But I suppose that's one disadvantage of having a long engagement; you have plenty of time to second-guess yourself and every trivial decision you make.  So, I rearranged our budget (again) and started shopping around for ceremony shoes.  I knew they couldn't be too high because 1) Mr. Lion isn't exactly an NBA star and 2) wearing ballet flats for the reception now dictated the length my dress would need to be altered to.
How fun is that font?!  It reminds me of Juno.  Anyway.  I found these lovely ivory heels, the Culver by Nina:

They were exactly the look I was going to, and they weren't too tall (2.5 inches).  The only problem was that I love the trend of colorful wedding shoes.  I needed my shoes to have a little more personality!  But could I pull of something like this with my classic lace gown?

Then, I discovered the DYO (design your own) section on Nina.  This feature allows customers to take a Nina design and customize the shoes to their liking.  You can even add rhinestones.  There are a few disadvantages to this feature; the shoes are more expensive and, because they're one of a kind, they're not returnable.  I went to a local store that sold Nina shoes and tried on a pair to make sure I was ordering the right size, then I created these:

Ivory satin Culvers with an Apple Green sole.  Yes.  Here they are in person:
{personal photo}

All in all, I was really happy with the decision in the end.  What have you changed your mind about during your planning process?

No comments:

Post a Comment